Modern ductile iron pipe is made to last over
100 years, and is an environmentally preferable product, both in
its recycled content and its own recyclability.
1. Ductile iron pipe is made from 100% recycled ferritic
scrap—and is itself a 100% recyclable material.
2. Lower pumping costs from increased flow capacity lead to
significant energy savings during the pipe's lifetime in
service. Ductile iron saves money.
3. It requires very little maintenance once it's installed and
is designed to last for well over 100 years.
4. It is resistant to corrosion in most soils, and typically
requires only effective, economical polyethylene encasement in
more aggressive environments.
5. It is strong enough to withstand the most severe conditions,
from high-pressure applications, to heavy earth and traffic
loads, to unstable soil conditions.
6. Ductile iron pipe is rugged and resists damage during
handling and installation
7. It has tremendous burst strength, making it ideal for
high-pressure applications and protection against sudden
pressure surges. With its conservative design and high safety
factor, it can also accommodate increased pressure loadings over
the years, factors that may not have been anticipated when the
pipe was first designed and installed.
8. Deflectable joints and the ability to be cut in the field
make installing ductile iron simple and safe; and they make it
adapt to unforeseen field conditions.
9. Ductile iron pipe can be direct-tapped in the field, and it
does not require complex laying schedules or line-drawings.
Other pipe materials require specific and sometimes extensive
10. Due to its metallic nature, it is easy to locate, even years
after it was installed; and, if a leak should occur, that leak
is easier to find and repair.
11. Rare leaks that may occur are not catastrophic—they can be
repaired in-place using repair sleeves without requiring the
replacement of whole sections or lengths of pipe.
HOME PAGE | CASTING BLOG | CONTACT US